Sunday, June 16, 2013

Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam





Sorry for being absent for so long. I was slightly preoccupied with passing my last-before-last exams and celebrating the arrival of summer. But I also managed to go to Amsterdam and have a look at the newly re-opened Rijksmuseum. If you haven't been, it's definitely worth the trip. I started the earliest from Groningen with one of the cheapo day-tickets (they are only valid after 9 am). I went straight to the museum via La Place for some soup. I stayed until they closed, which is kind of early at 5 pm. Of course, I did not manage to see everything, even though I basically ran through some of the rooms I was not too interested in. Well, I have been known to spend a lot of time in museums. And by a lot I mean so much even my dad grew impatient.

So I will share some pictures, but not much of the actual pictures, because the camera does not catch their beauty at all. The building alone is pretty cool, sometimes one has to think about looking up from all the exhibits and look at the ceiling or walls.
Just go there, pick some periods you like and follow the map. Don't give up when you can't find some of the stairs at first try. I spent like 15 minutes trying to find the modern era. Don't miss out on the Asian pavilion.



View from the sculpture gallery on the Museumplein.


 They have a little library in there. It is just the dream of a library.





This is porcelain from Meissen, the birth place of European porcelain and around an hour to drive from my home town. We actually have some of this stuff. Feel so cool. Next picture is a Dutch version, unfortunately forgot the town.




What I thought was really cool is the "camera magica", which is basically the earliest form of a projector. They used these little slides from above to project stories. However, it is not known today how these machines really worked at the time. At the time, of course, most people thought they were magic.



Two cool picture details. Details are the most awesome things about old art anyway. The cat interrupting the old woman's prayers. The guy in a huge picture (a little smaller than the Night's Watch), who is indicating his lack of drink. Looks like me two nights ago.


Don't stay in the museum for lunch! Go out on the Museumplein and get a snack in the sun. My particular milkshake even had some inspiration from Rietveld.


I have never seen an actual restaurant on a platform before Amersfoort.

No comments:

Post a Comment